Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Lily Livered & Chicken Livers

I recently bought some chicken livers. I was lily-livered about trying them, but I knew they were good for me, so I dove right in. I have hidden liver in our food before, but never just eaten the liver straight up.


I started by soaking them in some buttermilk to draw out any bad stuff, after all, the liver is just a big filter to catch bad stuff. I know if you get organic, pasture raised livers they are far less likely to have anything objectionable in them, but I always want to be extra sure... especially since I am not used to eating liver anyway.

I then trimmed them up, did a double dip (flour, then egg, then flour again), and threw them in a hot fry pan with coconut oil. I fried them up until they were crispy outside and served them alongside cheesy eggs for breakfast. My son just loved them! I think he liked them better than I did. I was very pleasantly surprised! 

If you are hesitant to try new foods, just think: mind over matter. Jump in! You can do it. Baby step your way to better health. Pick one new food each trip you make to the store and try it. If you want some really good recipes, some great research, and some ideas on what new foods you might want to try, check out Sally Fallon's book "Nourishing Traditions." It's worth every penny you might spend on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment